Wednesday 10 April 2013

Readology.

One of the thing that I have resolved to do more this year is to read more.

Read anything; textbooks (which I think I have read enough at the moment, thank you), fictions, non-fictions, and even graphic novels! Oklah, graphic novel is just a more adult term only. Which in fact is the same category as comics.

Since January, I have gone through a few books (don't count university textbooks lah..).

The first book was The Night Strangers by Chris Bohjalian.


I don't know what is the genre of this book. Before I start, I knew this book have ghosts, psychological and thriller elements in the book.

#FYI, I never ever ever read or watch anything that associates with ghosts, thriller, scary-shit stuff.

BUT!

Seems like this year, it is my utmost favorite kind of books. I haven't venture into ghost-scary-shit movies yet ler.. (think Exorcism of Emily Rose) Courage did not grow in one day wtf.

Surprisingly, this book kept me plastered my face into it until I complete reading the whole book. It's very.. What's that word? Gripping? It was as if I'm chasing a train, right at the back of a moving train and within inches I can grab hold of the railing and jump onto the train.

The story was about this pilot, or should I say ex-pilot, Chip and his family moved to a rural area to avoid the media attention.

The reason why Chip becoming an ex-pilot and being sought after by those media people was because he tried to safely land his plane based on his own judgement after the plane's double engine failure. Note the 'his own judgement' and 'double engine failure'. Why he did that was because he hoped that he can pull it off and save everyone on board, just like the other pilot in that story.

Somehow now that I'm writing this out I felt that the book is very similar to this movie starring Denzel Washington. Similar in some parts, not quite the same in other parts. The most obvious difference is that Denzel Washington managed to pull it off while being in drugged and drunk state, but Chip did not.

The author also weaved in elements of witchcraft, ghost haunting the characters, and eerie hair-stand-up-at-the-back-of-your-neck thingamajig. Okayy.. To be honest, I completed the book in January and I don't really remember in detail. Somehow, what I remembered most is that my hair at the back of my neck are in a constant standing position. That was how freaked out I was.

So, go read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment